|The Town of Dansville was separated from the Town of Jay on March 27, 1821. On March 22, 1822, the town |
was renamed Wilmington, which was suggested by a former resident of Delaware living there at the time.
Wilmington, Delaware was named after Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington. The Town of St. Armand was
broken off on April 23, 1844.
One of the earliest settlers was Reuben Sanford (b. December 03, 1780 - d. May 19, 1855), a prominent
manufacturer of whiskey and veteran of the War of 1812.