|On April 26, 1844, the Town of Burke was the last town separated from the Town of Chateaugay.|
The area was originally known as West Chateaugay but later named after the famous Irish-born English
statesman, Edmund Burke. Most of the first settlers came from Vermont, the earliest of which was
Jehial Barnum, Jr., uncle of Pineas T. Barnum, the remarkable showman.